Allah and Ra?

    First if all, Allah used to be (solely) an Arabian god and Ra was worshiped in Egypt. No nation in human history ever worshiped Allah as a goddess or assumed he/she was the consort of Ra.

Lat, Uzza and Manat

Illustration of Ra

    I am a member of a Facebook group called Great Philosophical Problems. I joined it in October of this year but I can assure you we mostly discuss hardcore political and religious matters.
    There are many trolls in the group as well. Other than trolls, there are Islamophobs and anti-Semites. They all bash each others on religious grounds. It often feels like family.
    On a particular Wednesday in November, I was scrolling to find something interesting when I stumbled upon a picture posted by a Turkish guy (claimed to be an ex-Muslim). He had compared Allah (the Muslim god), the Father (Jesus'), Zeus and Thor. He had stated Allah as a lunar deity. But the thing I found not just mildly interesting but also a bit disturbing was that he had called Allah the wife of Ra.
    Ra was the Egyptian Sun God. The word 'Pharaoh' ends with Ra's name. He was worshiped as one of the mightiest Egyptians deities.
    I was bewildered to find that, while answering to some random guy's comment, the Turkish troll had shared the screenshot of a book in which Allah was mentioned as the wife of Ra. The exact words were:
"Allah, worshiped by the people of the Akkadian Empire, the Sumerian Empire, and the Assyrian Empire, became a female god in Egypt, the wife of Ra."
    I asked that guy to tell me the source of his information i.e. the names of the weird book and the damned author. He ignored my actual demand but provided me with a detailed history of Mecca and the pre-Islamic pagan goddesses instead. His research work was admirable though.
    Then I started searching for the source and found out that the above-mentioned blasphemy was actually a work of fiction. The book's name was Strangers in Egypt, written by a Filipino author Norbert Mercado, printed in 2017. The genre was juvenile fiction. It was a fictional conservation between three characters: Mary, Joseph and Raneem. The scene was set around the time when Mary and Joseph had fled from the Romans and were residing in Egypt. Raneem asked Joseph how powerful Yahweh was and how could he assist the holy couple. In response, Joseph burst into a fictional chronology of the pagan deities and accused Allah of being the wife of Ra.
    I think, next time, we shall witness a man claiming to have broken into a car showroom under the influence of the imperio curse! Harry Potter reference, folks! Relax...
    After I showed the Turkish troll the names of the book and the author, well, he didn't actually give me any reply. He just kept talking about how Muslims needed to be educated and stuff.
    Well, it was a nice victory for me, what do you think?

Comments

Popular Posts